5 holiday calorie shockers (and what to eat instead)Published on Mon Dec 14 18:38:00 UTC 2009
’Tis the season of eggnog, Christmas cookies and decadent holiday drinks from Starbucks—at least in my house. ’Tis also the season when Americans put on half of our annual weight gain—two pounds a year—so give or take a pound between Thanksgiving and New Year’s. (Find out my secrets to putting off the holiday pudge here.)
It’s no wonder our waistlines expand when you see just how calorie- and fat-laden some of our favorite holiday foods are (check them out below). And for those who refuse to give up those holiday favorites (for my husband, it’s eggnog and for me it’s holiday cookies!), try some of the healthier versions I suggest below.
1. Eggnog: One recipe I found online had 600+ calories and about 40 grams of fat in just half a cup. A Starbucks 16-ounce eggnog latte has 500 calories—that’s almost twice the calories of a regular-size (2-ounce) Snickers bar. Instead, try this eggnog recipe for just 142 calories and 4 grams of fat.
2. Pecan Pie: Pecans are chock-full of vitamins, minerals and heart-healthy fats. But a single slice of pecan pie can boast upwards of 500 calories and 30 grams of fat. Try these pecan tartlet cookies instead—they have all the flavor of pecan pie at a fraction of the calories.
3. Creamed Onions: A few co-workers of mine grew up with creamed onions on their holiday table. I tried them for the first time this year—and they’re delicious—but "traditional" recipes often have over 200 calories and 10-plus grams of fat. Fortunately, these creamed onions have half the calories and fat, but they’re still big on flavor!
4. Champagne Cocktail: Depending on the "recipe," this is another holiday treat that can contain 200-plus calories. Keep your party festive without tipping the calorie scale with this refreshing Pomegranate Champagne Punch for just 128 calories.
5. Latkes: It’s a Hanukah tradition to fry latkes in hot oil, but I don’t know anyone who wants 10 grams of fat in a single latke. These 100-calorie potato latkes contain only 4 grams of fat.