How to Make Popcorn Balls
Enjoy this healthy recipe for popcorn balls with mix-and-match flavors.
EatingWell Popcorn Balls
MAKES: 12 (2-inch) balls ACTIVE TIME: 20 minutes | TOTAL: 20 minutes
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper. Fill a bowl with ice water. Put 6 heaping cups popped corn in a large bowl.
2. Cook the STICKY MIXTURE of your choice (see below).
3. Immediately stir the mixture into the popcorn until well coated. Gently stir in 1/4 cup finely chopped ADD-INS, if using (see below).
4. Dip both hands in the ice water. Quickly and firmly press the popcorn mixture into 2-inch balls. Roll in or sprinkle with 1/4 cup ROLL-INS, if using (see below), while still a little damp and sticky. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
5. To store, individually wrap in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container.
STICKY MIXTURES Go "all-natural" or keep it classic:
Agave-Peanut Butter:Combine 1/4 cup each agave nectar (or honey) and room-temperature creamy natural peanut butter in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly. As soon as the mixture starts to bubble, cook, stirring constantly, for 15 seconds more. Proceed with Step 3 (above).
Caramel:Combine 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar, 1/4 cup reduced-calorie light corn syrup and 2 tablespoons unsalted butter in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly. As soon as the syrup starts to bubble, cook, stirring constantly, until the sugar is melted and the mixture darkens, about 2 minutes. Proceed with Step 3 (above).
Stud with ADD-INS: Dried Fruit Nuts Chocolate Crystallized ginger Pretzels, regular or chocolate-covered
Coat with ROLL-INS: Unsweetened coconut flakes Finely chopped nuts Toasted sesame seeds Finely ground granola Sprinkles