Ten Steps to a Healthy Heart
Small changes in diet can go a long way to improving heart health.
1. Eat less red meat, more fish, more poultry and more beans.
2. Eat an extra serving or two of vegetables and fruits per day.
3. Eat more whole grains, avoid “white” breads and baked goods.
4. Switch from whole milk to skim or soy milk.
5. Replace butter with olive oil whenever possible.
6. Experiment with tofu as an alternative to meat.
7. Eat less sugar: replace cookies and cakes with an orange, an apple or another fruit for a sweet snack.
8. Eat more foods with soluble fiber like oatmeal and barley.
9. Be patient. Changes in diet can take up to six months to show up in blood tests.
10. Follow the American Heart Association’s diet (www.americanheart.org) for a tried-and-true approach to cholesterol control.