Moroccan-Style Stuffed Peppers
Aromatic savory-and-sweet stuffed peppers are a satisfying supper, thanks to lean beef, brown rice and bell pepper in each bite. Serve with rainbow chard sautéed with olive oil, garlic and parsley.
From EatingWell: January/February 2012
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 30
Total Time: 30
- 1 8- to 10-ounce bag microwavable brown rice or 1 2/3 cups cooked brown rice
- 4 medium-to-large bell peppers, tops cut off and seeded
- 1 pound lean (90% or leaner) ground beef
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup currants
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable juice, such as V8, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat rice according to package directions. (If using cooked rice, skip to Step 2.)
- Place peppers upside-down in a microwave-safe round casserole dish just large enough to fit them. Add 1/2 inch water to the dish and cover with a lid or inverted dinner plate. Microwave on High until the peppers are tender but still hold their shape, 3 to 6 minutes. Drain the water and turn the peppers right-side up.
- Meanwhile, cook beef and garlic in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, breaking up the beef with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in currants, cumin and cinnamon; cook for 1 minute. Stir in the rice and cook for 30 seconds more. Remove from the heat and stir in 1/2 cup vegetable juice, cup mint, orange zest, salt and pepper.
- Spoon the beef mixture into the peppers. Pour the remaining 2 cups vegetable juice into the dish and cover. Microwave on High until the juice and filling are hot, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve the peppers with the sauce; garnish with mint, if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving: 451 calories; 12 g fat (4 g sat, 4 g mono); 87 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 36 g protein; 8 g fiber; 629 mg sodium; 1410 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (335% daily value), Vitamin A (105% dv), Zinc (51% dv), Potassium (41% dv), Iron (33% dv), Magnesium (22% dv), Folate (17% dv).
2 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 2 vegetables, 4 lean meat