Ancho-Honey Pork Tenderloin with Cheese Grits
In this recipe, roast pork tenderloin is glazed with honey, lime, soy and ancho chile powder and served on top of cheese grits. Ancho chile powder, made from dried poblano peppers, has a mild heat and adds a rich, subtly smoky flavor. Serve with sauteed kale with slivered garlic.
From EatingWell: November/December 2012
Yield: 4 servings, 3 ounces pork & 1/2 cup grits each
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, divided
- 1 pork tenderloin (1-1 1/4 pounds), trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup quick grits
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 scallions, sliced
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Whisk honey, lime juice, soy sauce, chile powder and 1/4 teaspoon onion powder in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Sprinkle pork all over with salt and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon onion powder. Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork and cook until brown on all sides, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and roast for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and brush with the reserved honey mixture. Return to the oven and roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 145°F, 3 to 5 minutes more. Transfer the pork to a clean cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring broth and water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in grits and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in cheese. Cover to keep warm.
- Slice the pork. Serve the pork with the grits, sprinkled with scallions and drizzled with any remaining glaze from the skillet.
Nutrition Per Serving: 402 calories; 14 g fat (6 g sat, 6 g mono); 96 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 32 g protein; 1 g fiber; 672 mg sodium; 644 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (22% daily value), Potassium (19% dv), Calcium (17% dv)
2 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 other carbohydrate, 3 lean meat, 1 high-fat meat, 1 fat