Frances Van Vynckt, 78, combined dates, toasted rice cereal and coconut into an easy no-bake treat that won EatingWell's 2008 cookie contest.Yield: about 4 dozen cookies
Active Time: 30
Total Time: 30
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pitted dates, (8 ounces)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups toasted rice cereal, such as Rice Krispies
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- Combine butter, sugar and dates in a large saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, until the butter is melted, the sugar is no longer white and the dates are mostly melted, 8 to 15 minutes. The mixture should be a shiny, brown sticky mass. Remove from the heat.
- Add salt, vanilla, cereal and coconut; stir well to combine.
- When cool enough to handle, squeeze and roll the mixture into 1-inch balls. Place on a wax paper-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate until chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||2 g (1 g sat, 0 g mono)|
Carbohydrate Serving 1/2
Exchanges 1/2 carbohydrate (other)
From EatingWell November/December 2008