Apple Cider Doughnuts
These doughnut-shaped cakes are flavored with apple cider and glazed with maple syrup. If you do not have a mini Bundt pan, you can use a regular Bundt pan and make a coffee cake; bake it in a 375°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
Yield: 1 dozen
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- Approximately 3 tablespoons granulated sugar for preparing pans
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup apple cider, cider
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4-1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- To make doughnuts: Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat molds of a mini-Bundt pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle with granulated sugar, shaking out excess.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a mixing bowl; set aside. Whisk together egg, brown sugar, apple butter, 1/3 cup maple syrup, cider, yogurt and oil in another bowl. Add dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Divide half the batter among the prepared molds, spooning about 2 generous tablespoonfuls of batter into each mold.
- Bake until the tops spring back when touched lightly, 10 to 12 minutes. Loosen edges and turn the cakes out onto a rack to cool. Clean the mini-Bundt pan, then re-coat it with cooking spray and sugar. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- To make maple glaze: Combine confectioners’ sugar and vanilla in a bowl. Gradually whisk in enough maple syrup to make a coating consistency. Dip the shaped side (underside) of the “doughnuts” in the glaze to coat. Then set them, glazed-side up on a rack over wax paper for a few minutes until the glaze has set.
Nutrition Per serving:
291 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 61 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 341 mg sodium; 116 mg potassium.
4 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 4 other carbohydrate, 1 fat