Sturdy apples are flavored with cinnamon and vanilla in this slow cooker apple compote. Top with low-fat vanilla ice cream and a sprinkling of toasted walnuts for dessert.Yield: 8 servings, about 1/2 cup each
Active Time: 15
Total Time: 135
- 3 pounds firm cooking/baking apples, such as Granny Smith, Northern Spy, Rome or Golden Delicious
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Peel the apples and slice 1/4 inch thick. (You should have about 9 cups.) Place the apples in a 4-quart or larger slow cooker. Add sugar and cinnamon to taste, and toss to coat well. Cover and cook until the apples are very tender and almost translucent, but not pureed, 2 to 2 1/2 hours on high or 4 to 4 1/2 hours on low. Stir in vanilla. Transfer to a bowl and let cool slightly. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- For easy cleanup, try a slow-cooker liner. These heat-resistant, disposable liners fit neatly inside the insert and help prevent food from sticking to the bottom and sides of your slow cooker.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||0 g (0 g sat, 0 g mono)|
Nutrition Bonus Fiber (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Serving 2
Exchanges 1 1/2 fruit
From EatingWell January/February 2008