Apple, Pear & Dried Cranberry Crisp
Apples, pears and dried cranberries fill this holiday crisp. It has all the fruit flavor and sweet streusel topping that you get in a pie, but without the need to fuss with a crust.
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
Yield: 10 servings
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 3/4 hours (including soaking time)
- 1/2 cup fruity white wine, such as Riesling or Gewürztraminer, heated until steaming
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 medium apples, quartered and thinly sliced
- 4 medium pears, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pour Riesling over cranberries in a small bowl; let soak for at least 1 hour or overnight before you make the filling.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To prepare topping: Place flour in a large bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs with a few larger pieces. Stir in oats, 1/2 cup brown sugar, oil, salt and cinnamon until well combined. Refrigerate while you prepare the filling.
- To prepare filling: Cook 3/4 cup brown sugar and butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the butter is melted and the mixture resembles wet sand. Add apples, pears, salt and the soaked cranberries plus wine. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the fruit begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a 3-quart glass or ceramic baking dish. Sprinkle with the topping.
- Bake until the filling is bubbling and topping is browned, about 1 hour. Let stand at least 15 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate topping for up to 1 day.
Nutrition Per Serving: 400 calories; 11 g fat (5 g sat, 4 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 74 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 6 g fiber; 244 mg sodium; 279 mg potassium.
4 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 fruit, 2 carbohydrate (other), 2 fat