Artichokes with Lemon & Dill
Don't let fresh artichokes intimidate you—the little time it takes to prepare them is well worth the effort!
From EatingWell: March/April 1999
Yield: 8 servings
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 3 lemons, halved
- 8 large artichokes
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Lemon wedges
- Fill a large bowl with cold water. Squeeze the juice of 2 lemons into the water and add the squeezed lemon halves. Snap the dark green outer leaves off the artichokes. Working with one artichoke at a time, use a paring knife to trim the bottom 1/4 inch off the stem. Pare away the fibrous green portion of stem and bottom of artichoke. Rub cut surfaces with remaining lemon halves. With a serrated knife, cut remaining inner leaves off at the ridge just above the heart, exposing the purple choke. With a melon baller or spoon, scoop out the fuzzy choke. Place trimmed artichoke in the lemon water. Repeat with remaining artichokes.
- Combine 2 cups water and lemon juice in a nonreactive pot wide enough to hold artichokes in a single layer. Drain artichokes and lay them on their sides in the pot. Top with garlic, dill, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, turning artichokes once, until tender when pierced with a fork, 18 to 20 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer artichokes, stems up, to a deep platter. Simmer liquid remaining in pan over medium-high heat until reduced to 1 1/4 cups, about 10 minutes; spoon over artichokes. Let cool to room temperature.
- To serve, drizzle artichokes with oil and baste with sauce. Garnish with chopped dill and serve with lemon wedges.
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Nutrition Per serving:
63 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 5 g fiber; 364 mg sodium; 83 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value).
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat