Arugula & Chicken Sausage Bread Pudding
Chicken sausage comes in a variety of flavors these days. The flavor you pick will have a big impact, so make sure you pick one you like. We tried and liked sweet Italian, apple and Chardonnay sausage and sun-dried tomato and spinach sausage in this recipe.
From EatingWell: April/May 2006
Yield: 6 servings
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 3/4 hours
- 4 large egg whites
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh basil
Bread & filling
- 4 cups whole-grain bread, crusts removed if desired, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 1/2 pound, 4-6 slices)
- 5 cups chopped arugula, wilted (see Tip)
- 3/4 cup chopped artichoke hearts, frozen (thawed) or canned
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken sausage, (5 ounces)
- 3/4 cup shredded fontina cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat an 11-by-7-inch glass baking dish or a 2-quart casserole with cooking spray.
- To prepare custard: Whisk egg whites, eggs and milk in a medium bowl. Add mustard, salt, pepper and basil: whisk to combine.
- Toss bread, arugula, artichokes and sausage in a large bowl. Add the custard and toss well to coat. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and push down to compact. Cover with foil.
- Bake until the custard has set, 40 to 45 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with cheese and continue baking until the pudding is puffed and golden on top, 15 to 20 minutes more. Transfer to a wire rack and cool for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the pudding through Step 3; refrigerate overnight. Let stand at room temperature while the oven preheats. Bake as directed in Step 4.
- Tip: To wilt greens, rinse greens thoroughly in cool water. Transfer them to a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and punch several holes in the wrap. Microwave on high until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Squeeze out any excess moisture from the greens before adding them to the recipe.
Nutrition Per serving:
272 calories; 11 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 174 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 5 g fiber; 696 mg sodium; 435 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (29% daily value), Calcium & Vitamin A (25% dv), Iron & Vitamin C (15% dv).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat