Asparagus with Fresh Tomato Garnish
This quick raw “tomato sauce” makes a beautiful, elegant topping for asparagus spears. This is a great dish for entertaining because it will be just as delicious warm or room temperature.
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Diet (2007), The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 pound asparagus, steamed
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Put asparagus in a steamer basket, place in the pan, cover and steam until tender-crisp, about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, shallot, oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Serve the asparagus topped with the tomato garnish.
Nutrition Per serving:
58 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 85 mg sodium; 274 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (23% daily value), Vitamin A & Vitamin C (20% dv).
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat