Orzo, a rice-shaped pasta, makes a delightful base for an authentically Greek combination of shrimp, tomatoes and feta. To serve as a side dish, omit the shrimp and drain the tomatoes before adding them.
From EatingWell: Fall 2004, May/June 1992, The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 pound medium shrimp, (30-40 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1 cup orzo
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch (or other 3-quart) baking dish with cooking spray. Put a large pot of lightly salted water on to boil.
- Heat oil in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add wine and cook for about 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, 1 1/2 tablespoons parsley, capers, oregano, basil, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper; cook for 5 minutes. Drop in shrimp and cook, stirring, until barely pink, about 2 1/2 minutes.
- Cook orzo in the boiling water until tender but still firm, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to the prepared baking dish. Toss with the tomato-shrimp sauce. Sprinkle with feta and the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons parsley.
- Bake, uncovered, until the feta is bubbly, about 10 minutes.
Nutrition Per serving:
397 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 189 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 34 g protein; 4 g fiber; 991 mg sodium; 730 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 26 mg vitamin C (45% daily value), 730 mg potassium (37% dv), 7 mg iron (35% dv), 124 mcg folate (31% dv), 243 mg calcium (25% dv), 97 mg magnesium (24% dv), 15% dv vitamin A, 15% dv fiber.
3 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat