Baby Beet Greens with Spicy Mediterranean Vinaigrette
This unusual salad ties together earthy greens, sweet-tart cranberries, smoky cheese and crunchy croutons with a spicy-sweet dressing. Baby chard and beet greens have bright-colored ribs and veins, which give this salad a beautiful look.
From EatingWell: March/April 2009
Yield: 4 servings, about 1 cup each
Active Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup carrot juice
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups cubed whole-wheat or multigrain bread
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small clove garlic
- Pinch of salt
- 4 cups baby beet greens, baby chard or baby spinach
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup shredded smoked cheese, such as Cheddar
- To prepare vinaigrette: Heat mustard seeds, coriander and cumin in a small dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Add carrot juice and simmer over medium heat until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
- Place raisins in a blender and add the hot juice. Let stand for 5 minutes to plump the raisins. Then add vinegar, cilantro, yogurt, honey, crushed red pepper, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper and blend until combined. Pour in 1/4 cup oil and blend until smooth, about 1 minute.
- To prepare croutons: Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Toss bread and 1 tablespoon oil in a medium bowl until well combined. Spread in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake, stirring once, until golden and crisp, 12 to 15 minutes.
- To prepare salad: Season a wooden salad bowl by rubbing with garlic and pinch of salt. Chop the garlic and add to the bowl along with greens. Pour 1/4 cup of the vinaigrette over the greens. (Cover and refrigerate the remaining 1/2 cup vinaigrette for up to 3 days.) Sprinkle the salad with cranberries, cheese and the croutons; toss and serve.
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the vinaigrette (Steps 1 & 2) for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Per serving:
183 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 7 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 242 mg sodium; 173 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit, 2 fat