Bacon Mashed Potatoes
Serve these bacon-studded chunky mashed potatoes with grilled steak or chicken.Yield: 4 servings, about 3/4 cup each
Active Time: 25
Total Time: 25
- 1 pound new or baby potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 slices bacon
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk or buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 scallions, sliced
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with 2 inches of water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook, partially covered, until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp. Drain on a paper towel. Crumble when cool enough to handle.
- Mash the potatoes, milk (or buttermilk), salt and pepper with a potato masher until the liquid is incorporated but some chunks of potato still remain. Fold in sour cream, scallions and the crumbled bacon.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||4 g (2 g sat, 1 g mono)|
Nutrition Bonus Potassium & Vitamin C (17% daily value).
Carbohydrate Serving 1 1/2
Exchanges 1 1/2 starch, 1 fat
From EatingWell March/April 2011