Nutty-flavored fontina cheese gives this homey baked tortellini casserole a real taste twist and the cheesy breadcrumb topping makes it all but irresistible. You can easily double this recipe and make one for today and an extra to pop in the freezer for a heat-and-eat meal someday in the future.
From EatingWell: November 1997, EatingWell Fast & Flavorful Meatless Meals (2011)
Yield: 6 servings
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat milk, heated
- 1/2 cup grated fontina cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pound fresh or frozen cheese tortellini, preferably low-fat (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 6 individual gratin dishes or a 1 1/2-quart shallow baking dish with cooking spray. Put a large pot of water on to boil for cooking pasta.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook, whisking constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes. Add hot milk and bring to a simmer, whisking, until smooth and slightly thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and add 1/4 cup fontina and nutmeg, stirring to melt the cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook tortellini until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and rinse well.
- Combine the tortellini with the cheese sauce and toss. Transfer to the prepared dishes or baking dish. Top with the remaining 1/4 cup fontina. Combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan and sprinkle evenly over the tortellini.
- Bake the tortellini until golden and bubbly, 15 to 25 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 4; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 6 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before baking. Equipment: 6 individual gratin dishes or a 1 1/2-quart shallow baking dish
Nutrition Per serving:
366 calories; 12 g fat (6 g sat, 5 g mono); 49 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 2 g fiber; 738 mg sodium; 241 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (84% daily value), Fiber (40% dv), Magnesium (28% dv), Calcium (23% dv).
4 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1/2 reduced-fat milk, 1 medium-fat meat