The slight acidity of buttermilk tenderizes and moistens baked goods while allowing you to cut way back on butter or oils. Here, it also lends a slight tanginess to the winning combination of bananas and blueberries.
Yield: Makes 12 muffins
Active Time: 20
Total Time: 60
- 3/4 cup nonfat or low-fat buttermilk
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour (see Note)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/4 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 (1/2-cup) muffin cups with cooking spray or line with paper liners. 2. Whisk buttermilk, brown sugar, oil and eggs in a large bowl. Stir in mashed bananas.
- Whisk whole-wheat pastry flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg in a medium bowl.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in blueberries. Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups (they will be full).
- Bake until the tops are golden brown and a wooden skewer inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove and let cool on a wire rack for at least 5 minutes more before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Wrap and store at room temperature for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month. To defrost and heat frozen muffins, remove plastic wrap, wrap in a paper towel and microwave on High for 30-45 seconds. | Equipment: Muffin tin with 12 (1/2-cup) cups.
- Note: Whole-wheat pastry flour, lower in protein than regular whole-wheat flour, has less gluten-forming potential, making it a better choice for tender baked goods. You can find it in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets and natural-foods stores. Store in the freezer.
3 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat, 1 carbohydrate (other), 1 fat