Banana Bran Muffins
Banana bran muffins are great to have on hand for breakfast on-the-go!
From EatingWell: May/June 1997
Yield: 1 dozen muffins
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup mashed banana, (2 medium bananas)
- 1 cup unprocessed wheat bran
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans, or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Whisk egg, egg white and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Add buttermilk, banana, bran, oil and vanilla and whisk until blended. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups and sprinkle with nuts. Bake until tops spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 20 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Per muffin:
197 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 251 mg sodium; 188 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (17% daily value).
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat