Banana-Caramel Crepes with Nutella
Try these banana and Nutella crepes for a special brunch or luscious dessert. In this method, we fold the crepe into a square leaving a little “window” in the middle to show off what’s inside. Feel free to roll or fold your crepes around your filling any way you choose.
Yield: 6 crepes
Active Time: 30
Total Time: 60
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour, preferably white whole-wheat (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons canola oil or melted butter
- 1/2 cup seltzer water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 medium bananas, sliced
- 3 tablespoons chocolate-hazelnut spread, such as Nutella
- 1 tablespoon low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons confectioners’ sugar
- Process whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, salt, eggs, milk and oil (or butter) in a blender or food processor until smooth, scraping the sides once or twice. Transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Slowly whisk seltzer into the batter. Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Ladle 1/3 cup batter into the center of the pan; immediately tilt and rotate the pan to spread evenly over the bottom.
- Cook until the underside is lightly browned, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Using a heatproof silicon or rubber spatula, lift the edge, then quickly grasp the crepe with your fingers and flip. Cook until the second side is lightly browned, about 20 seconds. Slide onto a plate.
- Repeat with the remaining batter, spraying the pan as needed and stacking crepes as you go. If the pan begins to smoke, reduce the heat to medium. Cover crepes with a clean kitchen towel or keep warm in a 200°F oven.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until melted. Stir in brown sugar and bananas. Cook, stirring lightly, until the sugar just coats the bananas, about 30 seconds. Remove from the heat. Stir chocolate-hazelnut spread and milk in a small microwave-safe bowl until smooth. Microwave until warm, about 30 seconds.
- To assemble, place a crepe on a clean cutting board. Spread about 1/3 cup of the bananas in the center, leaving a 1- to 2-inch border. Drizzle with 2 teaspoons of the chocolate-hazelnut mixture. Fold in the sides to make a square shape, leaving a “window” in the center. Press down on the corners, as necessary, to help keep the crepe folded. Repeat with the remaining crepes and filling. Just before serving, sift confectioners’ sugar over the crepes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: To make ahead: Prepare the batter through Step 1 and refrigerate for up to 12 hours; refrigerate crepes between sheets of wax paper and wrapped in plastic for up to 2 days.
- White whole-wheat flour, made from a special variety of white wheat, is light in color and flavor but has the same nutritional properties as regular whole-wheat flour. It is available at large supermarkets and natural-foods stores and online at bobsredmill.com or kingarthurflour.com. Store it in the freezer.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (15% daily value)
3 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 carbohydrate (other), 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat