Banana-Coconut Dairy-Free Ice Cream
When blended with frozen ripe bananas, coconut meat (a.k.a. coconut manna or coconut butter) is transformed into the base for this creamy banana-coconut dairy-free ice cream. This dairy-free banana-coconut ice cream recipe uses coconut butter, which is made from finely ground whole coconut meat and has the texture of natural peanut butter. Coconut butter can be found in jars near other nut butters, baking oils and sometimes even in the supplement department of natural-foods stores and well-stocked supermarkets.
From EatingWell: January/February 2013
Yield: 12 servings, about 1/2 cup each
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes (plus 12+ hours banana-freezing time)
- 8 very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup melted coconut meat (see Tips), such as coconut butter or coconut manna
- 1/2 cup “lite” coconut milk
- 1/4 cup agave syrup or honey
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted (see Tips), plus more for garnish
- Peel bananas and cut into quarters. Freeze in an airtight container until completely frozen, at least overnight.
- Place frozen banana pieces, coconut meat, coconut milk agave (or honey) and salt in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse and process until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Add shredded coconut and pulse once or twice just to combine. Serve immediately as soft ice cream, garnished with coconut (if desired). Or transfer to an airtight container and freeze until firm. Let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes before scooping.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store airtight in the freezer for up to 1 week.
- Tips: Coconut meat is solid at temperatures below 76°F. To melt solidified coconut meat, remove the lid and place the container in a bowl of very hot water; stir frequently until melted.
- To toast shredded coconut, place in a small dry skillet and cook, stirring often, until golden, about 5 minutes, or spread in a shallow baking dish and bake at 350°F until light golden and fragrant, 5 to 10 minutes.
Nutrition Per Serving: 171 calories; 8 g fat (7 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 19 mg sodium; 291 mg potassium.
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 1/2 fat