Banana Spice Cake
Bananas add moistness and sweetness, while buttermilk makes this cake tender. Delicious with Spiced Tropical Fruit Compote.
From EatingWell: November/December 1995
Yield: 16 servings
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 3/4 hours
- 2 1/2 cups unsifted cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup mashed very ripe bananas, (2 large)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 12-cup Bundt pan with cooking spray.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger, cloves and salt together into a bowl; set aside.
- Heat butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, swirling the pan, until the butter turns a nutty brown. Pour the butter into a small bowl and let cool slightly.
- Beat egg whites in a clean mixing bowl with an electric mixer on low speed just until frothy. Add cream of tartar, increase the speed to medium and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 3/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, just until firm peaks form; set aside.
- Combine mashed banana, oil, orange zest, vanilla, egg yolk, the reserved melted butter and the remaining 1 cup sugar in a large mixing bowl; beat to combine. With the mixer on low speed, add the buttermilk and flour mixtures alternately in two additions each; beat just until blended. Add a heaping spoonful of the meringue and beat for just a few seconds to lighten the batter. Fold the remaining meringue into the batter by hand.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean and the cake is richly browned, 50 to 60 minutes. Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then turn out onto the rack to cool completely. Before serving, dust the cake with confectioners’ sugar.
Nutrition Per serving:
234 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 323 mg sodium; 115 mg potassium.
3 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat