Barley-Black Bean Salad
This hearty combination of barley and black beans would be for lunch the next day as well.
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 10
Total Time: 45
- 1 cup barley, cooked according to package directions
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup corn, (thawed if frozen)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
Combine cooked barley, beans, corn, cilantro, lime juice, oil, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
Nutrition Per Serving: 331 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 65 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 11 g fiber; 161 mg sodium; 215 mg potassium.
3 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 4 1/2 starch, 1 fat