Basic Tomato Sauce
This simple but intensely flavored sauce can be used in many Italian recipes. Make a large batch and freeze in small containers for quick reheating.
From EatingWell: September/October 1995, The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
Yield: about 5 cups
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 2 28-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large heavy pan or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and crushed red pepper; cook for 30 to 60 seconds. Add tomatoes, tomato paste and oregano; mash with a potato masher. Bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, over low heat, stirring frequently, until the tomatoes cook down to a thick mass, 45 to 55 minutes. Season with pepper.
Try This Recipe With:
Nutrition Per Serving: 109 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 71 mg sodium; 48 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C(45% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv), Fiber (24% dv).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable