Beef Burgers with Caramelized Onions
Meltingly sweet onions top these beef-and-bulgur patties.
From EatingWell: July/August 1993, EatingWell Serves Two
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1/3 cup bulgur, (see Note)
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups sliced onions, (4 medium)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 12 ounces lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Lettuce, for garnish
- Combine bulgur with 1/2 cup warm water in a small bowl; let stand until the water is absorbed and the bulgur is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over low heat. Add onions and sugar; sauté until the onions are very tender and golden, about 15 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup water and vinegar. Season with salt and keep warm.
- Preheat grill or broiler.
- Combine the plumped bulgur, beef, tomato paste, parsley, salt and pepper in a medium bowl; mix thoroughly but lightly. Shape into four 3/4-inch-thick patties. Grill or broil on a lightly oiled rack until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Place the patties on buns, top with the caramelized onions and garnish with lettuce.
- Note: Bulgur is made by parboiling, drying and coarsely grinding or cracking wheat berries. Don't confuse bulgur with cracked wheat, which is simply that—cracked wheat. Since the parboiling step is skipped, cracked wheat must be cooked for up to an hour whereas bulgur simply needs a quick soak in hot water for most uses. Look for it in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets, near other grains, or online at kalustyans.com, lebaneseproducts.com.
Nutrition Per serving:
381 calories; 13 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 55 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 23 g protein; 9 g fiber; 563 mg sodium; 651 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (51% daily value), Zinc (35% dv), Vitamin C (28% dv), Iron (23% dv), Magnesium & Potassium (19% dv).
2 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat