A little tender beef goes a long way when it is supplemented with flavorful mushrooms and enriched with a robust sauce in this healthy stroganoff.
Yield: 6 servings
Active Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 pound whole-wheat egg noodles
- 8 ounces filet mignon or sirloin, trimmed and thinly sliced across the grain
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced (3 cups)
- 1 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook noodles until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- Season beef lightly with salt and pepper. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the beef in 2 batches until browned, 1 to 3 minutes per side; transfer to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Add onion and sauté until softened and lightly colored, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low, add mushrooms and sauté until they are just beginning to give off their moisture, 2 to 3 minutes more. Add flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Stir in the wine and let evaporate, about 30 seconds. Stir in broth, bring to a simmer, stirring, and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in mustard, sour cream and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the reserved beef and cook just until heated through. Serve over the cooked noodles.
Nutrition Per serving:
381 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 62 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 11 g fiber; 102 mg sodium; 499 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (100% daily value), Magnesium (31% dv), Zinc (24% dv), Iron (22% dv), Folate (15% dv).
3 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat