Beer-Battered Tilapia with Mango Salsa
Lovers of fried fish get the taste without all the calories in this recipe. Seasoned whole-wheat flour improves the usual fish-and-chips batter. A good pilsner or lager makes this dish taste best—and since you only need 1/2 cup, there's some left over for the cook to enjoy.Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 30
Total Time: 35
- 1 ripe mango, diced (1 1/2 cups; see Tip)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1 to 1 1/4 pounds tilapia fillets, cut in half lengthwise
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- To prepare salsa: Combine mango, onion, lime juice, vinegar and cilantro in a medium bowl.
- To prepare tilapia: Combine whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, cumin, salt and cayenne to taste in a medium bowl. Whisk in beer to create a batter.
- Coat half the tilapia pieces in the batter. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Letting excess batter drip back into the bowl, add the fish to the pan; cook until crispy and golden, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and loosely cover with foil. Coat the remaining fish with batter and cook in the remaining 2 teaspoons oil; adjust heat as necessary for even browning. Serve immediately with the salsa.
Tips & Notes
- To cut a mango, slice both ends off the mango, revealing the long, slender seed inside. Set the fruit upright on a work surface and remove the skin with a sharp knife. With the seed perpendicular to you, slice the fruit from both sides of the seed, yielding two large pieces. Turn the seed parallel to you and slice the two smaller pieces of fruit from each side. Cut into desired size.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||7 g (1 g sat, 4 g mono)|
Nutrition Bonus Vitamin C (43% daily value), Folate (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Serving 1
Exchanges 1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat (mono)