Here multicolored beets are presented carpaccio-style (paper-thin slices) with a sprinkling of crumbled blue cheese. Once hard to find, beautiful varieties of beets, such as pink-and-white-striped 'Chioggia,' electric-yellow 'Golden Detroit' and ruby-red 'Moneta,' are more readily available. Seek them out at farmers' markets or supermarkets that stock local, in-season produce.
From EatingWell: July/August 2009
Yield: 6 servings
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 1/2 hours
- 3 medium beets, (about 1 pound), such as red, golden and/or Chioggia
- 12 1/2-inch-thick slices baguette, preferably whole-grain
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh herbs, such as dill, savory or tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place beets in a large saucepan and add enough water to cover by at least 2 inches. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until a fork inserted into a beet comes out with little resistance, about 40 minutes. (Overcooking will make the beets more difficult to thinly slice.) Drain and let stand until cool enough to handle.
- While the beets cool, brush baguette slices with 2 teaspoons oil. To toast, preheat oven to 350°F. Arrange the slices in a single layer on a large baking sheet and bake, turning once halfway through, until toasted but not browned, about 14 minutes. (Alternatively, grill the bread over medium heat, turning once, until lightly toasted, 2 to 3 minutes.)
- Trim both ends of the beets and rub off the skins with your fingers. Slice as thinly as possible, using a mandoline or sharp knife. Arrange the beet slices on a large platter or on 6 salad plates. Sprinkle blue cheese, herbs, salt and pepper over the beets and drizzle with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Serve with the toasted baguette.
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Nutrition Per serving:
132 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 330 mg sodium; 177 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (15% daily value).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat