Bitter Greens Salad with Aged Balsamic, Pine Nuts & Currants
This salad features a colorful combination of escarole, endive and radicchio, along with currants, pine nuts and Parmesan. Serve as a first course or to accompany grilled steaks rubbed with rosemary and garlic.
Yield: 8 servings
Active Time: 20
Total Time: 20
- 2 heads Belgian endive, trimmed
- 1 large head escarole, trimmed
- 1 head Treviso or radicchio, trimmed
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, preferably aged
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated good-quality aged Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup currants
- Cut endive in quarters lengthwise. Slice escarole (and radicchio, if using) in half, then cut each half into 4 wedges.
- Combine oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Arrange the greens on 8 plates. Drizzle with the vinaigrette, then top with 1 tablespoon each Parmesan, pine nuts and currants.
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit, 3 fat