Black Bean & Tomato Salsa
Adding canned beans to a spicy salsa is an easy way to boost fiber and improve nutritional value. This salsa is also a good accompaniment for burgers or Scrambled Egg Burritos.
From EatingWell: Spring 2003, The EatingWell Diabetes Cookbook (2005)
Yield: 4 servings, 1/2 cup each
Active Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup seeded, diced plum tomatoes, (3-4 tomatoes)
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, or parsley
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2-1 teaspoon minced canned chipotle in adobo sauce, (see Ingredient Note)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl; stir to blend. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Ingredient Note: Chipotle peppers are smoked jalapenos with a fiery taste that are canned in adobo sauce. Look for them in the Hispanic section of large supermarkets and in specialty stores.
Nutrition Per serving:
83 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 283 mg sodium; 118 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Fiber (16% dv).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch
Try this recipe with: