Black Beans & Rice
For a quick weeknight supper, use canned black beans and omit Steps 1 and 2.
From EatingWell: January/February 1998
Yield: 8 servings, 1 1/2 cups each
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 2 1/2 hours (plus overnight soaking)
- 1 pound dried black beans, (3 cups), picked over and rinsed
- 8 cups water, divided
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 lime, cut into 8 wedges
- Soak beans in cold water overnight. (Alternatively, put beans in a large pot with enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.)
- Drain and rinse beans. Place in a soup pot or Dutch oven. Add 4 cups water, garlic, oregano and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until beans are tender, about 2 hours. Drain and return to the pot.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add cumin and jalapeño; cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Stir onion mixture and vinegar into beans. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile bring remaining 4 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add rice, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve beans over rice, with lime wedges on the side.
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat before serving.
Nutrition Per serving:
600 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 117 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 11 g fiber; 407 mg sodium; 230 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (64% daily value), Vitamin C (57% dv), Iron (49% dv), Vitamin A (16% dv).
7 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 5 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 2 lean meat