Braised Bok Choy with Tomatoes & Gruyere
The distinctive flavors of tomatoes, olives and Gruyere combine to give bok choy a Mediterranean flair.
From EatingWell: August/September 2006
Yield: 6 servings, 1 cup each
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 2-poundhead bok choy, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pitted Kalamata olives
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 slices whole-grain country bread, toasted and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup finely shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- Place oil and garlic in a large high-sided skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat and cook until the garlic is sizzling and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add bok choy, tomatoes and olives; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the bok choy is tender, 8 to 12 minutes. Stir in salt; top with bread and cheese, cover and cook until the cheese is melted, about 1 minute.
Nutrition Per serving:
121 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 347 mg sodium; 638 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (120% daily value), Vitamin C (70% dv), Calcium (20% dv), Potassium (18% dv), Folate (16% dv).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat