Braised Celery Hearts with Honey-Mustard Vinaigrette
Braising makes celery tender and mild. Here we zip up celery with a sweet-and-sour honey-mustard glaze. Buy celery hearts trimmed and bagged or trim away the outer stalks from 2 big bunches and use the tender hearts.Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 30
Total Time: 30
- 2 celery hearts
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cut a thin slice from the base of each celery heart, leaving the stalks attached. Trim the tops so the hearts measure 7 to 8 inches long. Slice each heart in half lengthwise.
- Whisk vinegar, honey and mustard until blended; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large deep skillet over medium heat. Add the celery hearts cut-side down, snuggling them in if necessary. Cover and cook, turning once, until lightly browned and tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add the vinegar mixture; bring to a boil. Cook, turning the celery to coat, until the liquid is reduced and syrupy, about 4 minutes. Serve drizzled with the sauce.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||8 g (1 g sat, 5 g mono)|
Nutrition Bonus Vitamin A (17% daily value), Vitamin C (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Serving 1
Exchanges 1 vegetable, 2 fat, 1 carbohydrate (other)
From EatingWell January/February 2012