North Country Braised Chicken
Homey, hearty and flavorful, this easy chicken stew recipe sings with apple cider, rutabaga and pears. Serve over whole-wheat egg noodles or spaetzle.Yield: 8 servings
Active Time: 30
Total Time: 45
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (8-9 ounces each), trimmed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1/4-by-2-inch julienne (about 8 cups)
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 firm ripe pears, such as Anjou, Bosc or Comice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- Cut each chicken breast in half on the diagonal to make 8 roughly equal portions. Place flour on a plate and dredge the chicken to coat well on all sides, shaking off excess. (Reserve unused flour.)
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add half the chicken and cook until golden, about 3 minutes per side. Remove to a plate and season with 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Add 1 teaspoon oil to the pot and brown the remaining chicken. Remove to the plate and season with 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and add onions. Stir until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the reserved flour and stir 1 minute more. Gradually add apple cider and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Add rutabaga and broth. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the rutabaga is tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel pears and cut into 1/2-inch dice. Transfer to a bowl and stir in lemon juice and thyme. Add to the cooked rutabaga and season with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Lay the reserved chicken on top and cover the pot. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink in the center and the pears are tender, 5 to 6 minutes more.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||5 g (1 g sat, 2 g mono)|
Carbohydrate Serving 2
Exchanges 1 1/2 fruit, 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat