Braised Chicken Thighs with Broccoli & Olives
Black olives and lemon juice join steamed broccoli to make a rich-tasting sauce to spoon over sautéed chicken thighs and garlic cloves. Serve this stew over brown rice or barley.
From EatingWell: September/October 1992
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 55 minutes
Total Time: 1 1/4 hours
- 16 large cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1 bunch broccoli, (1 1/4 pounds) , trimmed into florets
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs, skin and fat removed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch or arrowroot
- 1 tablespoon water
- 8 black olives, pitted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Place garlic cloves in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes. Drain, slip off skins. Set aside.
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a medium saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Steam broccoli until tender-crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from the steamer. Set aside. (Alternatively, microwave broccoli with 1/4 cup water, covered, on High for 3 to 5 minutes. Drain.)
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Dredge chicken in the flour mixture, shaking off excess.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning, until browned on all sides, 4 to 5 minutes total. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Pour wine into the pan and bring to a boil, stirring to scrape up any browned bits. Boil for several minutes until reduced to 1/4 cup. Add broth, thyme and the reserved garlic cloves; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and add the reserved chicken. Cover and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes. With a slotted spoon or tongs, transfer the chicken and garlic to a platter and keep warm.
- Dissolve cornstarch (or arrowroot) in water in a small bowl. Stir into the pan and simmer, stirring, for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until slightly thickened. Add the reserved broccoli and heat through. Add olives and lemon juice. Spoon the broccoli sauce over the chicken and garlic. Garnish with parsley.
Nutrition Per serving:
352 calories; 15 g fat (4 g sat, 7 g mono); 87 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 5 g fiber; 380 mg sodium; 769 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (234% daily value), Vitamin A (90% dv), Selenium (50% dv), Folate (34% dv), Potassium (22% dv), Zinc (21% dv), Iron (20% dv), Magnesium (17% dv)
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1/2 fat