These breakfast burritos, stuffed with potatoes, scallions, scrambled eggs and cheese, are a great way to start the day when you have time to sit down to a real meal. They also make a fabulous easy dinner. Add a side of black beans and some corn sautéed with chiles and lime juice, and you have breakfast for dinner, south-of-the-border style.Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 25
Total Time: 25
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 red potatoes, cooked (see Tips), peeled, if desired, and diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions (4-6 scallions), divided
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 corn tortillas or small whole-wheat flour tortillas, warmed (see Tips)
- 1/2 cup tomato salsa
- 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes and 1/3 cup scallions and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomato and chiles and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Beat eggs, egg whites and cayenne with a fork in a small bowl. Push the vegetables away from the center of the pan and pour in the egg mixture. Cook, stirring the eggs with a wooden spoon, until some curds have formed but the mixture is still creamy, 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro and stir the eggs and vegetables together.
- Divide the egg mixture among warm tortillas and roll each one into a burrito. Top each with a spoonful of salsa, a little cheese and some of the remaining chopped scallions. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: Poke several holes in potatoes and microwave on High until cooked through, 8 to 12 minutes.
- To warm tortillas, wrap in barely damp paper towels and microwave on High for 30 to 45 seconds or wrap in foil and bake at 300°F until steaming, 5 to 10 minutes.
Nutrition Per Serving
|fat||7 g (3 g sat, 3 g mono)|
Nutrition Bonus Vitamin C (37% daily value), Potassium (23% dv), Magnesium & Vitamin A (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Serving 1 1/2
Exchanges 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean fat meat
From EatingWell EatingWell Fast & Flavorful Meatless Meals (2011)