A picnic favorite, this salad combines broccoli, water chestnuts, cranberries and just a little bacon for delicious results. Our version has plenty of creaminess without all the fat. Make it once and it will become a regular on your backyard barbecue menu.
From EatingWell: May/June 2009
Yield: 6 servings, 1 scant cup each
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 cups finely chopped broccoli crowns , (see Tip)
- 1 8-ounce can sliced water chestnuts, rinsed and chopped
- 3 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons dried cranberries
- Freshly ground pepper , to taste
- Whisk garlic, mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar and sugar in a large bowl. Add broccoli, water chestnuts, bacon, cranberries and pepper; stir to coat with the dressing.
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- Tip: Most supermarkets sell broccoli crowns, which are the tops of the bunches, with the stalks cut off. Although crowns are more expensive than entire bunches, they are convenient and there is considerably less waste.
Nutrition Per serving:
89 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 200 mg sodium; 193 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (70% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv).
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat