Broccoli with Creamy Parmesan Sauce
Topping steamed broccoli with a good-for-you cheese sauce is an easy way to entice picky eaters to eat their veggies.
From EatingWell: January/February 2011
Yield: 4 servings
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 pound broccoli
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup nonfat milk, divided
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of ground white pepper
- Pinch of ground nutmeg (optional)
- Trim 1/2 inch off broccoli stalks; remove the tough outer layer with a vegetable peeler. Cut the broccoli lengthwise so the florets attached to the long stalks are 1 to 2 inches wide. Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a Dutch oven fitted with a steamer basket. Steam the broccoli until tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk flour and 1/4 cup milk in a small bowl until smooth. Heat the remaining 3/4 cup milk in a saucepan over medium-low heat until steaming. Whisk in the flour mixture; cook, whisking, until thickened, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat; add cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg (if using). Drizzle over the broccoli. Serve warm.
Nutrition Per serving:
95 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 2 g fiber; 347 mg sodium; 329 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (103% daily value), Calcium (22% dv).
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat