Broccoli, Ham & Pasta Salad
A great make-ahead entree, this lightened-up pasta salad is loaded with broccoli and peppers. Smoky ham and sweet raisins give it plenty of punch. Enjoy the leftovers for a fuss-free lunch. Recipe by Nancy Baggett for EatingWell.
From EatingWell: May/June 2010
Yield: 5 servings, about 2 cups each
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Creamy Herbed Dressing
- 1/2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar or white-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey, or more to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried minced onion or dried chopped chives
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dried tarragon or dill
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt or celery salt or 1/4 teaspoon of each
- White pepper to taste
- 3 cups cooked whole-wheat fusilli or similar pasta (about 6 ounces dry)
- 4 cups chopped broccoli florets (about 1 1/2 large heads)
- 1 1/2 cups diced ham (8 ounces), preferably reduced-sodium
- 1 large red or yellow bell pepper (or a combination), diced
- 1/4 cup diced red onion, plus slices for garnish
- 1/3 cup raisins
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 cups spinach leaves
- 1 cup torn radicchio leaves
- To prepare dressing: Combine mayonnaise, yogurt, sour cream, vinegar, mustard, honey, onion (or chives), tarragon (or dill) and onion salt (and/or celery salt) in a bowl until well blended. Season with white pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings, if desired.
- To prepare salad: Combine pasta, broccoli, ham, bell pepper, diced onion and raisins in a large bowl. Add dressing and toss until evenly incorporated. Cover and refrigerate to blend the flavors for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 days.
- Serve on a bed of spinach and radicchio, garnished with slices of red onion.
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Nutrition Per serving:
306 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 31 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 6 g fiber; 838 mg sodium; 696 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (167% daily value), Vitamin A (85% dv), Folate (24% dv), Potassium (20% dv), Magnesium (18% dv), Zinc (17% dv), Iron (16% dv)
2 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 2 vegetable, 2 lean meat