Massaged Broccoli Rabe Salad
In this broccoli rabe salad recipe, the dressing is massaged into the leaves and florets, virtually eliminating its bitter undertones.
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
Yield: 6 servings, about 2 cups each
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 bunches broccoli rabe
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 minced anchovy fillet or 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Strip leaves from the stems (discard stems). Separate the florets from the leaves; cut any large florets into bite-size pieces. Wash and dry the leaves and florets. Tear the leaves into small pieces and place everything in a large bowl. Add Parmesan, oil, lemon juice, garlic, soy sauce, anchovy (if using), pepper and salt. With clean hands, firmly massage and crush the greens to work in the flavoring. Stop when the volume of greens is reduced by about half. The greens should look a little darker and somewhat shiny. Taste and adjust seasoning with more Parmesan, lemon juice, garlic, soy sauce and/or pepper, if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving: 176 calories; 15 g fat (3 g sat, 10 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 332 mg sodium; 294 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (72% daily value), Vitamin C (52% dv), Folate (29% dv), Calcium (22% dv), Iron (17% dv)
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 2 1/2 fat