Broccoli & Tortellini Salad with Arugula Pesto
A quick homemade arugula pesto dresses this simple broccoli and tortellini salad recipe. Serve with fresh sliced tomatoes drizzled with olive oil.
From EatingWell: July/August 2012
Yield: 6 servings, about 1 1/3 cups each
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 medium clove garlic
- 5 cups baby arugula
- 1/2 cup shredded Pecorino or Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts, divided
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 9- to 10-ounce packages fresh cheese tortellini, preferably whole-wheat
- 5 cups small broccoli florets
- Put a large pot of water on to boil.
- With the motor running, drop garlic through the feed tube of a food processor; process until minced. Turn it off and add arugula, cheese, oil, 1/4 cup pine nuts, lemon zest and salt. Process, scraping down the sides as necessary, until the mixture is fairly smooth; leave the pesto in the blender while you cook the tortellini.
- Cook tortellini in the boiling water until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes or according to package directions. Place broccoli in a colander and set it in the sink. Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta-cooking liquid, then pour the tortellini and the rest of the cooking liquid over the broccoli in the colander. (Pouring the hot pasta and cooking liquid over the broccoli “flash-cooks” it, leaving it bright green and tender-crisp.)
- Add the reserved 1/2 cup cooking liquid to the pesto in the blender; pulse to combine. Transfer the tortellini and broccoli to a large bowl. Toss with the pesto. Serve sprinkled with the remaining 2 tablespoons pine nuts.
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
Nutrition Per serving:
445 calories; 23 g fat (5 g sat, 9 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 5 g fiber; 605 mg sodium; 314 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (99% daily value), Vitamin A (45% dv), Folate (16% dv)
3 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 4 fat