Brussels Sprouts with Bacon-Horseradish Cream
These tangy horseradish-cream-topped Brussels sprouts are just the thing to serve with corned beef and potatoes, or alongside a holiday ham or turkey. Look for sprouts with tight, firm, small deep-green heads; if they're still on the stalk, so much the better. To prepare, peel off outer leaves and trim the stems. Double it: Steam the Brussels sprouts in a Dutch oven instead of a saucepan.
From EatingWell: November/December 2008, November/December 2007
Yield: 6 servings, 1 cup each
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 4 strips crisp-cooked bacon, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Place a steamer basket in a large saucepan, add 1 inch of water and bring to a boil. Put Brussels sprouts in the basket and steam until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Mix bacon, sour cream, horseradish, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add the Brussels sprouts and toss to coat.
Nutrition Per Serving: 80 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 222 mg sodium; 431 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin K (216% daily value), Vitamin C (130% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv), Folate (19% dv).
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat