Buckwheat Crêpes with Apple Compote
Cinnamon-spiced apples are wrapped in nutty buckwheat crepes for a delicious brunch treat.
From EatingWell: September/October 1994
Yield: 6 servings
Active Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 3/4 hours
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 2/3 cup low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup beer
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil, plus extra for preparing the pan
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 pounds Golden Delicious apples, (8 apples), peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- To make crêpes: Combine flour, whole egg, egg white, milk, beer, 1/4 cup sugar, oil, 1 teaspoon vanilla, salt and water in a food processor; process until smooth. Transfer batter to a bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight. (The batter should be the consistency of heavy cream. If it is too thick, stir in 1/4 to 1/3 cup water.)
- To make apple compote: Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, swirling the pan, until the butter is a light brown, about 30 seconds. Add apple slices and sprinkle with 1/3 cup sugar. Cook, tossing occasionally, until the apples are tender and lightly caramelized, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and cinnamon. Set aside.
- To cook and fill cr&ecirc;pes: Heat an 8-inch seasoned cr&ecirc;pe pan over medium-high heat until a drop of water dances on the surface. Using a paper towel, rub the pan with a little oil. Ladle about 3 tablespoons of the cr&ecirc;pe batter into the pan and swirl to coat the bottom evenly. Cook until the underside is lightly browned, 30 to 45 seconds. Loosen the cr&ecirc;pe with a spatula, and quickly turn over with your fingertips. Cook until the bottom is lightly browned, 20 to 30 seconds. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining batter, rubbing pan with more oil when necessary, and stacking the cr&ecirc;pes as they are cooked.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly oil an 11-by-7-inch or similar shallow baking dish or coat it with cooking spray.
- Spread about 2 tablespoons of the apple compote along the center of each cr&ecirc;pe. Fold in quarters and arrange the cr&ecirc;pes in the prepared baking dish. Bake, uncovered, until heated through, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the batter (Step 1) overnight. Prepare crepes through Step 5. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Nutrition Per serving:
311 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 64 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 6 g fiber; 139 mg sodium; 311 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (19% daily value), Magnesium (15% dv).
4 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 fruit, 1 fat