Bulgur & Lentils
Caramelized onions add deep flavor to this fast take on the Middle Eastern dish Mjadra, a simple vegetarian recipe featuring bulgur and lentils. Serve with a salad of chopped parsley, tomato and cucumber tossed with a lemon vinaigrette.
Yield: 4 servings, about 1 cup each
Active Time: 30
Total Time: 30
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 1/4 cups water, divided
- 1 1/2 cups cooked or canned (rinsed) lentils (see Tips)
- 2/3 cup bulgur (see Tips)
- 1/4 cup minced fresh mint, divided
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add onions and salt; cook, stirring frequently, until the onions begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low, add 2 tablespoons water and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are golden brown and very soft, 13 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in lentils, bulgur and the remaining 1 1/4 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the water is absorbed, 7 to 8 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons mint. Serve with the remaining mint, yogurt and lemon.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate airtight for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
- Tips: To cook lentils: Place in a saucepan, cover with at least 1 inch of water, bring to a simmer and cook until just tender, 15 to 30 minutes, depending on the type of lentil. Drain and rinse with cold water. 1 cup dry lentils = about 2 1/2 cups cooked. Or use canned lentils: 15-ounce can = 1 1/2 cups. Rinse canned lentils before cooking with them to reduce the sodium by about 35%.
- Bulgur is made by parboiling, drying and coarsely grinding or cracking wheat berries. Bulgur just needs a quick soak in hot water for most uses. Look for it in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets, near other grains.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (41% daily value), Vitamin C (23% dv), Iron (22% dv), Magnesium (20% dv), Potassium (17% dv)
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat