Start your day in a hearty, high-grain way with these buttermilk-oatmeal pancakes. Maple syrup is a perennial favorite atop a stack of these pancakes; sliced bananas would also complement their oat flavor.
From EatingWell: EatingWell for a Healthy Heart Cookbook (2008)
Yield: 6 servings, 2 pancakes each
Active Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups nonfat buttermilk, (see Tip)
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- Maple syrup, (optional)
- Combine buttermilk and rolled oats in a small bowl; let rest for 20 to 30 minutes to soften oats. Stir all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, wheat germ, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk egg, egg whites and 1 teaspoon oil in a separate bowl. Add the oat mixture and the flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Lightly brush a large nonstick skillet with a little of the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and heat over medium. Using 1/4 cup batter for each pancake, pour batter onto the skillet and cook until the underside is browned and the bubbles on top remain open, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn the pancakes over and cook until the underside is browned, about 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a platter and keep warm in a 200°F oven. Repeat with remaining batter, brushing skillet with a little of the remaining oil as needed. Serve hot, topping with maple syrup if desired.
- Make Ahead Tip: Store the batter (Step 1) in an airtight container in the refrigerator overnight.
- Tip: No buttermilk? You can use buttermilk powder prepared according to package directions. Or make “sour milk”: the ratio is 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup milk.
Nutrition Per serving:
271 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 39 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 4 g fiber; 675 mg sodium; 293 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (23% daily value), Calcium (22% dv).
3 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 fat