Buttermilk Pound Cake
Pound cake gets its name from the traditional pound of butter used to make it. This low-fat version uses a combination of pureed canned pears and canola oil, along with a touch of butter, for a moist, rich result.
Yield: 16 servings
Active Time: 30
Total Time: 120
- 2 16-ounce cans pear halves in light syrup, drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 2 large egg whites
- Puree pears in a food processor or blender. Transfer to a medium saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring almost constantly, until reduced to 1 cup, 10 to 12 minutes. (As the puree thickens and spatters less, gradually increase the heat to speed the process.) Transfer to a large bowl and let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 10-inch tube pan or coat with cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, swirling the pan, until the butter turns a light, nutty brown, about 60 seconds. Pour into a small bowl, stir in oil and set aside.
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda into a medium bowl and set aside. Add 1 1/2 cups sugar, buttermilk, vanilla, lemon zest, egg yolks and the butter-oil mixture to the reserved pear puree and whisk until smooth. Add the dry ingredients, in two additions, folding with a whisk just until blended.
- Beat the 4 egg whites in a clean mixing bowl with clean beaters until soft peaks form. While continuing to beat, slowly add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat until stiff, but not dry, peaks form. Gently fold the beaten whites into the pear puree mixture with a rubber spatula. Turn the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool, right-side up.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (23% daily value).
4 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat