Caramelized Onion & Olive Pizza
Sweet onions get even sweeter when they are sautéed until golden and almost meltingly soft. Tangy goat cheese and good imported black olives provide the perfect flavor balance.
From EatingWell: May/June 1998, The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
Yield: One 12-inch pizza, for 4 slices
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- Cornmeal, for dusting
- 2 ounces Whole-Wheat Pizza Dough, (recipe follows) or other prepared dough
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large sweet onions, such as Vidalia or Walla Walla, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup crumbled creamy goat cheese, (2 ounces)
- 8 imported black olives, pitted and chopped
- Place a pizza stone or inverted baking sheet on the lowest oven rack; preheat oven to 500°F or highest setting. Coat a 12 1/2-inch pizza pan with cooking spray and dust with cornmeal.
- Prepare Whole-Wheat Pizza Dough, if using.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Add water, garlic and rosemary and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 13-inch circle. Transfer to the prepared pan. Turn edges under to make a slight rim. Spread the onion mixture over the dough. Scatter goat cheese and olives over the onions.
- Place the pizza pan on the heated pizza stone (or baking sheet) and bake the pizza until the edges are golden and the topping is bubbling, 10 to 20 minutes. Slice into wedges and serve.
Nutrition Per slice:
339 calories; 10 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 56 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 7 g fiber; 672 mg sodium; 411 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (30% daily value), Fiber (26% dv), Vitamin C (20% dv), Iron (15% dv).
3 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 3 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 fat