Caramelized Spiced Pears
Serve these caramelized pear slices over ice cream, stir into plain yogurt or enjoy as a topping for pancakes or waffles. Brown-skinned Bosc pears hold their shape during cooking, but any variety of pears tastes delicious.
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
Yield: 6 servings, about 1/2 cup each
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 3 ripe but firm pears (about 1 1/2 pounds), cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons granulated or light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Pinch of salt
- Toss pears with lemon juice in a medium bowl. Melt butter in a large deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat; stir in the pears. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring once halfway through, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt in a small bowl. After 10 minutes, stir the sugar mixture into the pears. Increase the heat to medium and cook, stirring often, until the pears are tender and glazed, 4 to 6 minutes, depending on the type and firmness of the pears. Serve warm.
Nutrition Per Serving: 108 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 3 g fiber; 26 mg sodium; 107 mg potassium.
1 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 fat