Sautéed Brussels Sprouts with Caraway & Lemon
Thinly sliced Brussels sprouts cook quickly and soak up whatever flavors you add to them—in this case, lemon and caraway.
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
Yield: 4 servings, 3/4 cup each
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, quartered and sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and caraway seeds and cook, stirring often, until the onion begins to soften, about 4 minutes. Add Brussels sprouts, water, salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the Brussels sprouts are tender and browned in spots, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.
Nutrition Per Serving: 79 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 318 mg sodium; 428 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (133% daily value), Folate & Vitamin A (20% dv).
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat