Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Cake flour gives this carrot cake a tender crumb, while bits of crushed pineapple and toasted walnuts add nuggets of familiar flavor. A low-fat cream cheese frosting is a luxurious finish.
From EatingWell: January/February 1993
Yield: 16 servings
Active Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
- 2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup prune puree
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 cups shredded carrots, (5-6 small)
- 1 8-ounce can crushed pineapple, thoroughly drained
- 1/4 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped, toasted (see Tip)
- 12 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- To make cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat the inside of three 9-inch round layer-cake pans with cooking spray. Line the bottoms with wax paper.
- Stir together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk together eggs and egg whites in a large bowl. Add sugar, prune puree and oil and whisk until smooth. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until blended. Stir in carrots, pineapple and walnuts.
- Divide the batter among the prepared pans and bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan on a rack. Loosen edges and invert cakes onto racks. Peel off paper and let cool completely.
- To make frosting: Combine cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar and vanilla in a mixing bowl; beat with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
- To assemble cake: Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate. Spread a scant 1/2 cup of the frosting over it. Top with another cake layer and spread another scant 1/2 cup frosting. Place the third layer on top and spread with the remaining frosting.
- Tip: To toast chop nuts: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Nutrition Per serving:
356 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 38 mg cholesterol; 61 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 424 mg sodium; 266 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (56% daily value), Iron (15% dv).
4 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 2 other carbohydrate, 2 fat