Coconut-Carrot Morning Glory Muffins
These carrot-flecked, whole-grain morning glory muffins can be made ahead for breakfast or a snack so you can hit the ground running on a busy morning. Add a nonfat latte and your day will be off to a healthy start. Or make this coconut-carrot morning glory muffin recipe for a special brunch. Look for coconut oil, in jars or tubs, near other cooking oils in large supermarkets, in the natural-foods section, or in natural-foods stores.
From EatingWell: January/February 2013
Yield: 1 dozen muffins
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 cup whole-wheat or white whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats, plus 2 tablespoons for garnish
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted if necessary (see Tip)
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, plus 2 tablespoons for garnish
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, 1/2 cup oats, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and allspice in a medium bowl.
- Whisk eggs, applesauce, honey and vanilla in a large bowl. Whisk in coconut oil. Gently stir in the flour mixture just until moistened. Fold in carrots, 1/2 cup coconut and raisins.
- Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons each oats and coconut.
- Bake the muffins until they spring back when lightly touched and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with only moist crumbs attached, 30 to 35 minutes. Let stand in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Make Ahead Tip: Individually wrap in plastic and store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. To reheat, remove plastic, wrap in a paper towel and microwave on High for 30 to 60 seconds. Equipment: Muffin tin with 12 (1/2-cup) cups
- Tip: Coconut oil is solid at temperatures below 76°F. To melt solidified coconut oil, remove the lid and place the container in a bowl of very hot water; stir frequently until melted.
Nutrition Per muffin:
186 calories; 8 g fat (6 g sat, 1 g mono); 31 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 7 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 206 mg sodium; 193 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (63% daily value)
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 1/2 fat